A Command Central is a seamless system that holds all your papers, projects, tasks, lists, ideas, responsibilities, and materials for completing your projects. And it might feel overwhelming to create one, but today we’re going to show you how simple it can be. In fact, you most likely have an ideal spot in your home right now!
So what are the key points to consider when creating your space?
- Consider locations in your home that could hold a simple setup–like a filing cabinet and a small desk or table. If you need to go mostly digital you absolutely can, but you’ll want at least a clear space and a few folders to hold important papers (because the world isn’t paperless yet!).
- This is where you’ll sit down to work on your Weekly Review (where you’ll recenter yourself and get set up for success), so you’ll want this space to be as free from distraction as possible (i.e. not in front of the TV).
- If you need to divide your Command Central between a couple of rooms or two different floors of the house, that’s fine. You’ll just want one place to go for your regular planning sessions. (A Command Central can even be totally mobile…a computer, an accordion folder, and a small file box can do the trick!)
- Do you work at an office outside of your home? Or do you have a classroom where you teach? You’ll want to duplicate some parts of your Command Central at that external location, but for starters, just build one inside your home.
- And remember–this is JUST YOURS. You don’t share a Command Central with your family…as much as you love them.
- To begin, set aside just 10 minutes to start clearing space. Move papers off of a desk, clear the corner of a kitchen counter, set up a card table…whatever you need in order to think, “YES! I can now sit down and make awesome things happen.”
- Throughout this process, as you find things that are time sensitive, note them on your calendar and keep them in a single pile right out in the open so nothing will slip through the cracks while you’re building your system. Box or bag everything that is “dead weight.” (You’ll get to those soon.)
- Setting up a Command Central brings legitimacy to your work–whether in the home or away from home. This will help you reduce mental and physical clutter and help you focus on what you want to move forward.
- And please go easy on yourself! You don’t need a “Pinterest-perfect” place to begin. We are looking for functional and simple.
Want to Take a Virtual Tour…
Enjoy these photos of Command Centrals already in existence. And then we wish you the best in creating your very own!
Want additional coaching on the Command Central process?
More great resources will be coming soon to LearnDoBecome, so make sure you’ve signed up for our Five Habits resource on our homepage–or you can join our free training today! (See you soon!)