I procrastinated pretty much everything for the first 30 years of my life.
Projects took forever, if they got done at all. I forwarded tasks from one day to the next, and then the next, and then the next. And I watched WAY too much TV.
When something did finally “need to get done,” I usually completed it at the last minute, stayed up super late, etc., and then promised myself I would stop doing that in the future. (Ha!)
Here’s the thing, though…. I thought it was a problem with ME. I thought, “If I just had more talent, skill, discipline, mental strength, free time, energy, better health, etc., I would be able to be successful.”
Maybe you’ve felt the same way?
But I have learned that it wasn’t me. And it isn’t you. It’s a matter of learning and implementing the principles that will support you in your goals and dreams. And today, my daughter Alia and I are going to take you behind the scenes of a huge project our team recently completed in just two days (without needing the stars to align in order to make it happen!).
(Also pictured in the photo above is my daughter Grace, who helped with all the social media images….)
We really hope that these ideas will be helpful for you.
Our project: A 7-Day Organize-Your-Mind Challenge
(It was a 7-part video series we released inside our free Community Facebook group to help everyone start off the year feeling organized, calm, and mentally clear. There’s a link at the bottom of this post where you can sign up!)
The outcome of this was SO fun.
- It brought a ton of energy to our community (great photos, tons of progress and momentum, etc.).
- It gave us a really natural way to share the “magic” of our STEP program.
- It provided a new resource we could share in different ways in the future—so it didn’t have to be a “one and done” type of project. From a business perspective, we could run ads to this challenge and set up an email version for which new members of our community could register at any time.
- It served the world in a bigger way. We saw affect our family, our neighborhood, and thousands of families around the globe.
Here are the five principles we followed:
(And for more detail, listen to the podcast episode by clicking the “play” button at the top of the page!)
- We sat down and discussed the outcome vision (and made SURE this was the best use of our time).
- We set deadlines—one to “go live” and one to have all the recordings prepared in advance.
- We completed our initial preparations. I took little pockets of time after our meeting to outline the content of the videos and sketched them out in my planner. Alia even cut my hair, which needed to happen. 😊
- We batched the parts of the project that required the most energy. (Fun video-recording day of all 7 videos in one day!)
- We prioritized our list of remaining tasks and focused only on those–until we met our deadline. (We didn’t complicate things when the opportunity came up to do so, we didn’t demand “perfection,” and we didn’t take on any additional projects or commitments until those tasks were finished. We also batched the additional tasks as much as possible and got things scheduled in advance so we could breathe and relax once the two-day sprint was completed.)
I believe that the “huge projects” weighing on your mind right now were inspired by something bigger. (Many people refer to this as their higher power.) Yes, there might be some projects that need to go into your “Someday List”—or you may need to improve your delegation skills and get some help. But when your mind and heart can’t help but focus on something meaningful and purposeful (and yes, “BIG”), I think you need to pay attention to that.
Your unique abilities have prepared you for some amazing things, and we hope that the ideas we’ve shared today will help you to make those happen.
Get out a sheet of paper or a fresh digital note and record one “big project” that you’ve been putting off for awhile. (We recommend you select a project that is really connected to your heart.) Then review the principles above and brainstorm how you could apply them to this specific project…and get things moving in an exciting direction!
To participate in the 7-Day Organize-Your-Mind Challenge…
Request access and then click the announcement at the top for a link to the 7 videos!
And if you want to work with us on a deeper level to get your projects prioritized, your spaces calm and clear, and your mind totally organized, our STEP program is the place to be! 😊 (Our Booster Series is going on right now, and we would love for you to participate!)