Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the beautiful comments, emails, messages, and notes of encouragement you sent in response to Episode 119. I can’t thank you enough for the kindness, compassion, comfort, hope, and support you all offered, and the team and I are beyond grateful for the opportunity to serve you here at LearnDoBecome. We love you.
Today’s episode is designed to help you feel more excited about your life–even if you’re in the middle of some heavy stuff.
I’ll include a few links and ideas below, but I really do encourage you to press “play” above or subscribe to the podcast on your preferred player, if at all possible (we’re on Amazon Music, Kindle, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, and more!).
When we “brighten” our lives, it’s an investment in future generations.
I’m reading a great book right now called “Die Empty.” (I know…it sounds a little morbid, but it’s really good!) The introduction features a beautiful quote by George Bernard Shaw:
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief candle” for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
Eric was surprised I hadn’t heard that before, but now that I have, I don’t want to forget it.
All right, so how do we see life as a “splendid torch”? How do we make it burn brighter? I’m sharing just 3 ideas for today:
(1) Create Flexible Control Over Your Daily Routine
The past couple of days felt like we had zero control over our daily schedule, and I was feeling a bit grumpy.
Here are a few things that happened:
- Guest came into town/flight canceled
- Unexpected news needed to be discussed
- Tech issue on computer with Spencer’s scanning—taught him how relabeling works in Dropbox
- Mattress out of stock, new errand
- 4 places for another necessary errand
- Eric and I felt extra tired and in need of a break, so we slept in WAY past our normal wake-up time
- Meeting needed to happen last minute with Alia to plan ARISE because she had another meeting right after
- Son planning biking/needed a waiver signed/coordinated with other parent/time changed anyway…
But here are a few things I’ve learned:
- Priorities in the moment might switch.
- Sometimes we need to create better boundaries and block time for the most important things.
- We can’t be TOO flexible every single day or nothing will get accomplished.
- We also need to recognize that “work” and “value” happens along the way—not just during predefined activities
And here are a few questions I jotted down to help me when I’m in those uncontrolled moments:
- Is this the most important thing for me to do right now?
- When WILL I do the activities I had planned to do today?
- Am I letting unreasonable requests take over?
- Would stronger boundaries be appropriate right now?
- What could I do to anticipate these kinds of things next time?
(2) Invest in Other People’s Learning and Expertise
I just signed up for a course about building a company culture from the Disney Institute. (I used to work at Disneyland when I was 18/19….)
This morning, I got my iPad set up, with Evernote on the right—opened to a note inside my “Courses and Conferences” notebook (that is inside my “Education” stack), and then the online Disney Institute portal on the left.
I went through the first couple of modules, and that alone was worth the cost of the course. So many new ideas came to me, and I started to feel that excitement that I had been missing. It’s amazing what can happen when you open yourself up to training from those who have energy and excitement in the areas where you are needing support.
(3) Learn How to Make Progress…Even LITTLE Steps
I just need to highlight some of our Steps to Everyday Productivity members here. I’ll read a few extra testimonials on the podcast, too, but these are two we got permission to share this week that I know will inspire you:
My phone is literally filled with screen shots of beautiful celebrations like the ones above, and I can’t even tell you how much that means. Isn’t it fun to see progress implemented in such a beautiful way?
Okay, so what do we do now?
So glad you asked! 🙂
It is seriously amazing. Come join the interest list, if you haven’t already, and watch for an email letting you know when we open. It is the place to work with us on a deeper level and be a part of a close community of like-minded individuals who are here to support one another!
Building a Command Central has never been easier, and it is going to rock your world. The Mastery Facebook community is nearing 17,000 people, and I have to say it is one of my favorite places on the internet.
If you aren’t ready to purchase a program, but you’d still like to support the cause…
- Please open and click our emails. That helps us to get a good “sender reputation” and makes email deliverability easier.
- Consider leaving a review on our podcast – LearnDoBecome Radio! Some platforms (like Apple Podcasts) have a robust review system. Others don’t really make it easy/maybe don’t have reviews, but we would love your help however you can offer it!
- Share LearnDoBecome with your friends! If you like what we’re creating here and want your friends/family to feel the excitement, please let them know they can visit our site! The Connect Page is a great place to send friends. You could say, “Hey there! Just helping to spread the word about this online community I’m a part of called LearnDoBecome. They have podcasts, videos, a free Facebook community, and great programs to help you get out of the overwhelm so you can wake up excited and go to bed content. 🙂 This introductory page will give you a feel for it, if you want to check it out: https://LearnDoBecome.com/Connect.”
- Think happy thoughts about LearnDoBecome! (Just wanted to add something happy that anyone can do, even if you don’t have a lot of time.)
We love you, and we appreciate you!!!