We’re so thrilled to have Amy McCready, a parenting expert and a dear friend of ours, join us today to help us strengthen our families and reduce the angst, chaos, and misbehavior in our homes.
We obviously want to be more organized, and we want to have systems to keep our homes clean and “flowing” beautifully, but when the home is ALSO full of backtalk, nagging, reminding, fighting, etc., it’s really hard to relax, build relationships, and enjoy the process.
Here are a few things that we covered!
- Mind, Body, and Soul Time – This is one of those “offensive” (not “defensive”) parenting strategies, and I have to say, it has made a really significant impact in our family (even when we haven’t done it “perfectly”). Essentially, it’s 10-15 minutes, once or twice a day, with one parent and one child that is child directed.
- The “When-Then” Technique – This is a natural, easy way to structure the “have-to-dos” and the “want-to-dos.” For example, we might say, “When you’re all packed for school, then we’ll have breakfast!” Amy provides a lot of additional ideas inside the podcast and explains how to make this work!
- How to Choose Activities Wisely – Do you ever feel like you’re signing your children up for everything—hoping they’ll get inspired and take some initiative? Or do you find that you are exhausted from all the “stuff” you have to manage, and you’re wondering why YOU are the only one who really cares? Cutting back and letting go is definitely a challenge, but in the “long game” of parenting, it might make a lot more sense.
- How to Put Decisions on Our Children’s Shoulders – Whether it’s creating a budget for school clothing, extra snacks, or their wedding OR knowing how to respond when our children say they aren’t going to do their homework or go to school, we can manage power struggles by putting the ball back in their court.
- How to Manage Issues Like “Car Fighting” – Have you ever wondered what to do if your children are arguing in the car while you’re trying to drive somewhere? Amy helped me learn how to pull over (when we weren’t going somewhere that had a deadline and when it was to a place where they wanted to go) and stop the fighting without having to yell. “When I hear quiet, we’ll keep driving to the park!”
- The “I’ve Noticed” Technique – Amy showed me how to teach and encourage without yelling by using simple phrases like, “Hey, I’ve noticed that in the mornings, there’s been a lot of commotion while we’re trying to get out the door.” Then we could have a discussion and talk about how to make the mornings work better.
- Top Tips for Managing Technology – Technology is part of our life, but in many ways, it’s getting out of control. It’s our responsibility to manage technology, but how do we do this? Amy and I discuss ideas such as using the when-then technique, creating a family tech plan (check out Better Screen Time for more on this!), and building in systems where the internet is down, technology is off limits, etc.
- How You Can Learn More from Amy! – Her program at Positive Parenting Solutions is amazing. I’ve personally been a member for over a decade, and it has hands down been the biggest influence on my parenting. Friends ask me all the time if it’s really worth the investment, and I 100% say YES. When you think about all the time you spend worrying about or dealing with parenting challenges in your home, this online training is well worth the time, effort, and money. We don’t recommend very many programs here at LearnDoBecome (and I never recommend something unless I have personally gone through it). Amy’s program is fantastic, and you can try out a free parenting class at the link below!
Amy McCready is the Founder of Positive Parenting Solutions and the creator of the 7-Step Parenting Success System. She is the author of two best-selling parenting books: If I Have to Tell You ONE MORE TIME and The “Me, Me, Me” Epidemic. Amy is a TODAY Show contributor and has been featured on CBS This Morning, CNN, Fox & Friends, MSNBC, Rachael Ray, Steve Harvey, The Doctors & others. Her greatest joy is helping moms and dads become the parents they’ve always wanted to be.
Better Screen Time by Andrea Davis – Create a Tech Plan for your family!
Connect with us at LearnDoBecome! – We have a community Facebook group, a YouTube channel, programs, and more!