Here’s an inspiring member spotlight for this week! I’ll share the story and then explain a few reasons why I love this so much!
Katherine moved into her current home 18 months ago, and this vanity area had been a catch-all the whole time. She covered it with a curtain for a while so she wouldn’t have to look at it, but it “whispered” to her things like she’d wasted money on the things in the pile–or she was a terrible housekeeper–or that she had horrible time-management skills. But she decided since she was going back to work (as a teacher) 10 days from when she posted this, she would get one project done per day, and she picked this one as a start. She turned on music and found the following:
• 3 bath towels
• 2 sets of sheets
• A whole bunch of stuff that had a home elsewhere in the house and could be put away simply as a “2min task”
• A bunch of trash
THAT WAS IT!
Then she said the following: I feel *such* relief now. I’ve been a part of STEP for 2.5 years so this is one of many successes. I always feel such relief after a microburst….This program is…about the things in your mind that make you feel overwhelmed, incapable and unworthy. Keep at this program, take what works for you, set aside what doesn’t and focus on the goal: “Progress, not Perfection” — even if it is at the speed of “One microburst at a time!”
I love this so much, and I can’t thank Katherine enough for her energy and light as she shared her story. Hearing her share how she was able to overcome what had been a mental and physical drain to her totally lifted my heart!
But I want to point out a few principles that all of us can apply to our lives:
(1) Our “things” and our “clutter” truly do whisper to us. Sometimes our minds go numb to the piles (as David Allen explains), but subconsciously, there’s a mental weight and a negative drain when our environment, our phones, our email accounts, etc. are weighed down.
(2) When we make a decision to change, it unlocks an amazing amount of power in our lives. Katherine chose 10 days, 10 projects–and they weren’t huge, impossible projects. They worked with her energy and schedule and overall goals. We could do that right now. Make a decision and decide to change. Eric and I, for example, decided we would do Caroline Girvan’s “Iron” program. I’ve been following her YouTube channel for more than a year, but I’ve never completed a full program. Now we are 4 days away from finishing (5 days a week for 6 weeks), and I feel so good! Stronger physically, yes, but mostly it’s a mental thing where I’ve told myself that I can do something hard.
(3) Moving something forward usually isn’t as hard as we think. Once you actually open the STEP program, for example, you’re going to notice that the steps are incredibly short and simple. Think about this in your own life experiences up to this point… Undoubtedly, you’ve had experiences where you procrastinated something for months or longer, and then once you DID it, you realized it wasn’t the monster you thought it would be.
(4) Mastering your mind–and those beliefs and habits and thoughts that keep you in the overwhelm–is an absolute game-changer. Progress over perfection is a mantra that has brought me strength throughout my whole life, and I’m so glad Katherine mentioned it here. This is worth the effort–our BEST efforts.
I hope you feel encouraged by her story and that as you’ve read or listened to these principles, you’ve felt something spark inside you. You can make similar progress in your own life, and we hope you’ll stay close to LearnDoBecome and share this with friends as you do so!
Here are a couple of next steps, if you’re ready!
Would you like to become a STEPper and build your full Command Central? Our STEP Mastery members have a special bonus class this month–all about time blocking. If you join by August 23rd, you can participate in the live event! Or join by the end of August to get the recording. Recordings of special events can be purchased for $50 on their own, or you can become a STEP Mastery member and become grandfathered in to all future STEP Mastery Member events!
Four Weeks to Finished starts September 1st! Would you like to get out of the overwhelm with a solid Command Central–built in one month with lots of coaching, support, and community along the way? Our special group coaching program is only offered a few times a year, and we would love for you to sign up! Click here to get on the waitlist!