Do you have too much on your plate? If you are feeling overwhelmed by too many reminders popping up on your phone and things are slipping through the cracks, come listen in! Our amazing Steps to Everyday Productivity (STEP) community member, Avi Friedman, has some great tips for you!
Here are some of the lessons that stuck out to us:
- Find creative ways to fit in learning. Avi went through the entire STEP program in 2 days, by listening during his commute to work.
- Use the 2-minute rule: If something can be done in two minutes or less, don’t write it down – just do it! You’ll be surprised at how many things you can clear from your list using this rule.
- Only add notifications for tasks or events that are time-specific. Having 45 reminders pop up each day isn’t helpful. 🙂
- Intentionally set up bills to be paid on or close to the same day each month. Call the company or go online to see if they can adjust the day the bill is due. This allows you to take care of paying all your bills in one session, and makes it easier to remember when they will come due.
- Use a Context-Based Next Actions List. This is a paper or digital list you keep with you at all times that contains a short list of very specific Next Actions for that week. The tasks are organized into contexts, such as Home, Phone, Errands, Computer, and To Discuss. Want to learn more? Join our free training (linked below)!
- Use a calendar for time- and day-specific tasks. Avi uses this to follow up with clients and keep things from following through the cracks. And our LearnDoBecome team uses the app, Asana, to keep track of follow-ups with our community members.
- Use a focused Current Projects List. Narrow your current projects down to 7-8 that you will work on this month. You’ll find that you are able to make more forward movement on those projects, because your focus isn’t divided between 50-100 projects.
- As much as we like to think we can do everything, we can’t do it all at once. By putting some things on hold and letting others help, we can knock out projects and tasks–and really begin fulfill our dreams and goals.
Having a system in place to manage all the papers, tasks and projects can make such a difference! Just look at Tiffany’s STEP Win:
This win by Shelly was amazing, as well!
Want some more great tips on how to get out of the overwhelm? We’ve got four GREAT ones for you in our free training! Sign up here!
We want to see your STEP Command Central! Simple or fancy, pretty or plain, it’s SO inspiring to see how many of our community members are getting their lives in order. So come join the challenge and share a picture of yours here!
The principles we teach are based on David Allen’s book, Getting Things Done. *You can find it here!
And to reach out to Avi to learn more about his health business, you can message him on Facebook or email him at [email protected]
Alyssa Conger says
Thanks so much for this podcast. I am also working and building a private practice, not to mention caring for my family. I have had to get so serious about this program and actually do a reboot! Did I mention that my husband and son constantly live in piles and my husband is also working crazy hours. I feel like I’m pretty much single-handedly doing it all. To say that I’m overwhelmed is an UNDERSTATEMENT!