Today, Eric and I are sharing an amazing interview with our dear friend Britt Seva, a brilliant online leader for hairstylists (and while Eric and I are not hairstylists, this podcast is actually about something that can benefit ALL of us). We’re talking about life architecture, believing in ourselves, and creating a solid growth mindset.
For example, you will never hear Britt say, “Oh, that’s too hard,” or “I can’t do that” or “Those dreams are for someone else.” She is someone who identifies what she really wants for her life and then does what it takes to make it happen–even when it isn’t easy. THAT is what we want for our community at LearnDoBecome.
So you’re going to hear Britt’s story today–and it’s probably going to be very different from your own story. But the takeaways you’ll get as you hear Britt’s tenacity and creativity will stay with you for a LONG time. Enjoy!
- How do you create a mindset where you believe you can grow, change, and become a better version of yourself? Britt grew up in what she calls an “average” family. When her parents were divorced, she watched her mom struggle and began to realize that if she wanted to achieve her dreams, she would need to make them happen. When she was encouraged to find someone who could just “take care of her” for the rest of her life, she chose not to listen. Instead, she found the man who could make dreams and build them WITH her.
A lot people do truly think your circumstances define the end result….Whatever cards you are dealt are going to be the life you lead. And it was in that moment that I thought, ‘Oh no. This is a pivotal point. All the choices that I make from this day forward will determine the life that I have.’Britt Seva
- Look to find your passion and move forward in it, with a community of support. Not everyone has a supportive spouse or partner. But your dreams can still happen, especially as you create your own community of support. These are people you can turn to for guidance–your cheerleaders. Having people who rally around you is a priceless resource.
- Everyone is put on the earth with a handful of incredible gifts. The faster they can tap into those gifts and be ready to share them with the world, the faster they will find all they are looking for. For example, the hairstylist and salon industry is often gets written off as a cop-out career–something a person would only choose it because they couldn’t do something more. But Britt works to empower stylists to break through that glass ceiling, so that they can live their biggest, best, wealthiest lives, in a well-rounded way.
- Can you teach or inspire drive? Britt had a beautiful analogy to share. Imagine your drive as a gem inside you. It starts out dull, waiting. Something or someone comes along and ignites the gem. It begins to glow. As you feed it, the gem glows brighter and brighter. It’s a part of you that you can’t fight–a natural resource that you can tap into at any time. It never runs out as long as you continue to have faith that it is there. It will always be there to serve you.
- Drive often comes as a result of hardship. Use struggles to ignite that fire. Those struggles–looking back–often become a beautiful piece of your journey. They forge our characters, values, and shared memories. They require us to become creative and drive us appreciate what we have because we built it.
We make the time. When it has to happen, we just make the time.Britt Seva
- Focused imbalance: There may be a season of life where one thing has to take priority. Maybe it’s just a short sprint–90 days or a year. But you really need to give your all to this goal, so that the rest of your life can be set up for success. Identify and set boundaries to that period of time so that it doesn’t become the norm.
- Social media connects people online. That said, if you’re building a business and want to ignite your clients, you do still have to show up. Often people create a profile, but don’t show up. Upload pictures. Show your latest projects. When people leave reviews, comment on their reviews. And ask for reviews. Show what’s happening behind the scenes. Engage with people so that you can create that sense of community. Simply responding creates trust and helps people to feel seen and valued.
- We live in a day and age where it is more possible than ever to pursue a new passion, career, or hobby–because the resources are there. Everything seems impossible until it’s done. Until you test it, you’ll never know. Ask yourself, “If I don’t do this, will I regret it?” If you don’t take a chance, how will you know if it will fail or not? People who have great happiness and wealth are those who were willing to take a chance.
We want to help the hairstylists of the world learn more about Britt. Here is an image download you can save to your phone and share with the person who cuts your hair.
It was so fun to sit down with Britt and talk through project-creation in Asana. As a member of our STEP program she has gone through our email tutorials and has wonderful things to say about it. If you haven’t learned about our Steps to Everyday Productivity Program yet- listen in on our free webinar. Sign up at: LearnDoBecome.com/STEP!
Mentor’s International – while in the Dominican Republic, we visited a school that works closely with Mentors International. Women who live in challenging circumstances and who want more education have an opportunity to take classes and learn new skills. In the podcast, we talked about how we shared Britt’s Instagram account with a woman who was training future hairstylists there, and she was excited to give her students additional support as they are building their education for a better life!