Exercise matters, right? We want our bodies to be strong, and we want to have routines that really support our goals and help us to feel our best.
In today’s interview with Robin Long from The Balanced Life, we share specific ways you can create routines around your health so that you can optimize your systems and feel amazing. Come listen in–just click “play” above!
(Here’s a photo I took during my recording with Robin. 🙂 )
- What is an optimal routine? There isn’t a single answer. What’s optimal is what is best for you. Find a routine that you enjoy and that fits with your lifestyle. From the beginning, it’s important to remember that most people don’t stick to a routine perfectly. Life happens, and there will be ebbs and flows. What matters is that you are embarking on a lifelong journey towards health and balance.
- How do we define health? We’ve been conditioned to think of health as just exercise and nutrition, but health includes additional factors that help us to feel whole. In some seasons of our lives, we may need to prioritize sleep. In others, we might want to get to the gym more often. The idea is to ask ourselves, “What helps me to feel my best? What really honors the season of life I am in? What is my goal?”
My goal is that I want to feel good. The way I know if I am feeling good is how I respond to my family during the hard moments of the day…. When I am able to be the ‘eye of the storm,’ then I know I am taking care of myself.April Perry
- Looking for a great app to track your habits? For the past 26 days, I (April) have been using an awesome app called “Streaks” ($5 in the App Store) to track four key habits that I complete before checking my email. Here are three screen shots of the Streaks app–so you can see the process (unchecked to “checked,” tracking of days…)
- Looking for a health routine that aligns with your motivations and doesn’t require willpower? Usually the reason we don’t stick with new routines is because they require a lot of energy to sustain. Choosing routines that are fun, easy to implement, broken down into bite-sizes pieces, and perhaps tracked by something like the app above will make it SO much easier to achieve success. (More on this in the podcast!)
- Why is Pilates effective? Pilates is mind-body exercise. Instead of simply powering through, we are connecting our bodies to our minds and thinking about how our muscles move as we exercise. That focus helps us exercise with maximum efficiency. The benefits are similar to the benefits of meditation–being present, clearing our minds, and refreshing our souls.
- How long does it take to see results with Pilates? We tend to get hyper-focused on just the numbers on the scale or the size of the pants we are wearing, but then we are missing out on the other benefits–like when we sleep better, feel more energetic, or have less back pain! Within the first weeks of doing Pilates, you’ll notice that you feel stronger.
- Closing thoughts: Whatever our health routines, as we are mindful about the work we are doing, we can experience a wide variety of benefits: mental strength, resilience, a desire to eat more nutritiously, etc. We don’t have to overhaul our entire lives to see progress–even small steps changing our habits and patterns can create more self-confidence, balance, and joy!
Get to know Robin Long:
Robin is opening a free Pilates challenge we think you’ll love, and you can sign up here to get started now.
We love this book! *Atomic Habits by James Clear
In this class, we teach four simple steps you can take today to reduce the overwhelm and get rid of the piles–mental and physical. We’ll also give you more information on our full Steps to Everyday Productivity (STEP) Program, where you learn how to build your own Command Central and implement routines and a system to manage all the details in your life. Click the link above to sign up!
*Book and challenge are affiliate links!