Now that we’ve covered a lot of groundwork in laying the foundations of this party, let’s dive into really getting your family involved!
(And, if you find that your home environment doesn’t necessarily include children, please know that you belong here, and many of these suggestions are also wonderful to implement in building a relationship with a spouse or even just building a relationship with yourself. Make organizing fun and fulfilling for you! You have a place in this wonderful community, and we appreciate you!)
10 Ways to Involve Your Family in Organizing
- (3:15) – Pay attention to timing. Organize during pockets of time when people are not tired or hungry.
- (7:20) – Share the outcome vision. (In one hour, we’re going to have this TV area organized.)
- (8:20) – Brainstorm together. Ask questions like, “What could this space be like?” and “How easy will it be to find or use x,y, & z if this space is clean and clear?”
- (11:07) – Give everyone assignments. Adjust for the ages of your kids.
- (14:55) – Give lots of praise! Find ways to praise children before, during, and after.
- (15:20) – Organize to music! Make it fun!!
- (20:26) – Keep the mood light. Talk about the stories and memories that come up as you organize the space.
- (27:50) – Teach the concept of streamlining. Find ways to help your children keep just the things that are needed. Take photos of items to donate.
- (35:28) – Reinforce the concept of serving. Discuss how organizing alleviates stress, which makes a better home environment. Even if they can’t see the point in the project, it is a way to SERVE our family. And as they help with a good attitude, it “fills the bank” with good deposits. Doing good for others will always come back and affect them in a good way.
- (43:25) – Celebrate!!! Step back and appreciate the hard work!
This is so much bigger than just having your kids help as you clean. This is about building a strong family and teaching your children the foundational skills they will need as adults. It’s truly beautiful to see that process unfold!
Please know–we don’t have this down perfectly. So much of the day-to-day interactions with our families are about learning to trust in the greater process, but I hope you feel hope as you continue to move forward! At the end of the day, each of us is a work in progress. We’re cheering for you!
We have some additional tips to help you as you organize with your family. Sign up at LearnDoBecome.com/party to get access!
We’d love to help you get rid of ALL the piles–mental and physical! In our free training, we’ll teach your four steps you can apply today to help you get started. Then you can learn more about our full Steps to Everyday Productivity program, where you’ll build a full system to manage all the papers, projects, ideas, and problems that weigh on your mind. Sign up here!